Log term explained
If in response to some event, the program adds entries to a file, typically identifying the event and its source, then this file is called a log file. Possible sources of events:
- The result of certain user actions;
- Interrupts coming into the program from the equipment;
- Events generated by programs (e.g., obtained in result of calculations);
- Events caused by software errors (called exceptions);
- Events from the operating system or other programs and events having any other source.
In short, we are talking about the state changes in the running and the running program. The simplest version of the log file is a plain text file with records in rows. All information in the log files is recorded in a certain format allowing in the subsequent to understand the causes of events.